Sunday, September 15, 2013

Another one of "those" days

It's been a busy week and I have a page or two filled with posts ideas but I had a day yesterday. So the other posts will have to wait. It was another one of "those" days. The type of day that leaves you reflecting the ups and downs of motherhood.

No, I don't mean the one where I'm exhausted and feel like the kids and everyone else drives me crazy. Not one of those days where nothing goes right. Not one of those days where I'm running late, everyone wants something from me and I feel like there's not enough of me to meet everyone's demands. Not one of those days where I just want to cry in the end because I feel that I just can't get anything right. Sadly, I feel there are too many of "those" days in motherhood. We're going through the motions, doing what we need to do, but sometimes feeling like it's not enough or we failed in some way.

Yesterday, was not one of "those" days. It was the day of sunshine on a beautiful Fall like Saturday, where jeans, flip flops, and a long sleeve but thin shirt is just about right. The kind of day where you can smell Fall in the air. The kind of day where you just want to stop in the middle of the fresh air, close your eyes, still feel the sun beating down on your face, hear the laughter of the children enjoying apples and pumpkins around you, and realize that this is one of "those" days that makes every other exhausting, struggling day completely worth it. It's a moment of perfection; it's a moment to treasure and lock away in that precious motherhood box of memories that makes motherhood the joyous journey that it can sometimes be.

I am so guilty, and I imagine I'm not alone in this, in letting those other bad days drag me down and cause me too much doubt and guilt. My parents are always reminding my sisters and me how fast this times goes; how later this time of our kids being little is just going to be a blink in time. I often wonder if I'm missing too much because I'm too busy working. But it's days like yesterday that I know I'm okay; I'm doing the right things. It's those days I hold  dearly as I return to the rush, rush of being a working momma at the beginning of every week.  When I look back on this in my life I'm sure I'll remember the exhaustion, frustrations, and doubt as a clustered blur of the early years of raising my girls. I won't really remember the individual days, but the particular days I will remember will be "those" days like yesterday. The days that everything falls into place, where I stand there just happy and content to just watch them in their childish joy as they explore their surroundings, excited to share a day with mom and dad and whatever other family may be with us. Those are the moments that count; it's another one of "those" days we want to have again and again.

I hope you have another one of "those" days soon.



Here are the pictures from our special day apple picking on one of the farms of Carroll County, Maryland followed by a trip down to the Inner Harbor of Baltimore, Maryland.


                                             Kenzi petting the kittens in the kitten corner.
 So excited to pick their own apples.    Averi kept eating them.
                                                             Averi loved the kittens.
                                                          Going down the makeshift slide.
                                                               Petting the donkey
                                                                     Hi, Mom!
         The girls with their cousins and some random boy in the back down in the Inner Harbor.
                                  Our little musician playing on the cool new musical things in the Harbor.
            Kenzi dropped what she was doing and ran over to hang off this bar. I think she wanted to show us she could do what she sees sissy doing at gymnastics. It was just too stinkin cute.
                          On the 27th floor of the Baltimore World Trade Center overlooking Baltimore.



Like us on Facebook





3 comments:

  1. I am glad you had a good "those" days. The girls are adorable and look like they really enjoyed it. Wouldn't it be nice if you could take that day, fold it up, stuff it in a pocket, and pull it out any time you were having one of "those" bad days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! We are planning to go apple picking this weekend and probably the next too! It is so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kids are so adorable! I'm glad that you were able to get out and have some fun :) It can be really hard with young kids to be able to enjoy the moment. Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete