Monday, May 4, 2015

"How do Moms Cry?"

So while out playing with soccer in the yard with my girls, the youngest one started to cry. My oldest said something about mommies not crying; then she looked at me with a puzzled look on her face like something just occurred to her and she asked, "Do you cry, Mom? How do moms cry?"

I blurted out the first thing that came to mind, "Oh my God yes, moms cry. Moms cry a lot more than you think."

Her question stuck with me the rest of the night though. I'm sure I've cried in front of the girls before, right?  I cried when my grandfather passed away, I've cried when Nate and I have had arguments and disagreements, I've cried when I'm overwhelmed and frustrated, I cried when I lost the last baby a few months ago. But I've never really been a big crier in front of other people. Even the number of times Nate's seen me get upset enough to cry could probably be counted on one to maybe two hands. So I asked myself her question again how do moms cry? I guess here's the answer I didn't tell her.

Moms cry at the end of the day when she's finally alone in the shower where the water can wash away her tears.

Moms cry in the silent of the night where no one can see her tears in the darkness.

Moms cry when she's alone in the car and there's no one to witness her moment of weakness, and only the radio is there to comfort her troubled thoughts.

Moms cry when no one is looking, when no can see the tears or sadness in her eyes, when no can hear her sobs. or feel the wetness on her cheeks.

This is how mom cries because she knows her strength is what gets everyone else through, she cries because she carries everything on her shoulders too prideful to share, she cries because she struggles but she doesn't want anyone to know, she cries because she loves and cares in a way she never imagined possible.




 
Do you have your copy of my book,  Moms, Monsters, Media & Margaritas ?  Check it out if you haven't. It's examines the perceptions and expectations of motherhood in the 21st Century with humor and inspiration.  You can also read the latest review on it and follow the ebook links here.


Recent Posts

May is Here

Wait? I Only have 12 More Years to get this Right?!?!
 

1 comment:

  1. Like you, I try not to cry in front of people. I cry in the shower, alone, or to a song that fits the mood just right. However, my kids have seen me cry. They have witnessed me sad, mad, and happy cry. Mommies cry, and that's okay. :)
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete