Tuesday, December 9, 2014

The Holidays are Coming: Oh My!

It's hard to believe it's December already. Like always the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas just flies by. Before we know it 2014 will be behind us.

This past weekend we got our family Christmas tree. Unfortunately, because it was raining rather than doing it Griswold style where we cut it down and haul it ourselves we decided to support the local Boys Scout troop where they're already cut them and are a short walk from your car.





                                                     It's really hard to get a picture of two kids and two dogs.





My friend Jess and I also got to go shopping for the little boy and girl we adopted with the money we made from our hobbies, my writing and her knitting. This is definitely a tradition we would love to keep up. We were able to buy each of them three toys and one outfit. We actually have someone else that we contacted about another child so any last minute knitting, book orders, or orders from ads here on the blog can help us buy gifts for one more child.

With a few more orders I'll reach the small goal I set for myself for 2014. I wanted to make $500 from my writing and donate at least 25% of that. Right now I'm a few sales short of my $500 goal and with the money I have made I've donated almost 30% of that to a childhood cancer charity from back home that means a lot to several of my readers from there and now to the holiday adopt a child drive. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make the donation to SMA that I had hoped to make this Fall. I got really busy with work and didn't push or market it very well and hit a really low sales period around Sept and Oct. Before I knew it was time for the holidays. I'm hoping to make a donation to SMA in the Spring so if you'd be interested in helping me promote it just let me know.

Being able to give back or pay it forward or whatever you want to call it was important to me this year. There's always more we'd like to do, but as we all know life gets busy and money gets tight. But last year I almost dreaded the holidays because money was so tight the stress of it almost took all the fun away, so I'm thankful this year for the more positive experience. For those of you that have supported me I cannot thank you enough!

Jess, who is my closest friend here in Baltimore, who I also find as a great inspirational person with the way she throws herself into so many causes as a full time working mom of two, is also sponsoring another charity event this holiday season for support for Maryland Midwives. Check out these adorable calendars to support the Maryland Midwives organization .

If you're still shopping I just ordered a bunch of clothes for my niece, nephew, and daughters at at Crazy 8 for buy one, get one for $.08! I'm also the one everyone counts on for cool personalized photo gifts and Shutterfly right now as 40% off everything with code OURFAVS .

Happy holidays from our family to yours this holiday season!

For additional shopping: Be sure to check out Gymboree, Crazy 8, Little Passports, and Shutterfly for holiday shopping deals. My book,  Moms, Monsters, Media, & Margaritas is on sale for $8. The book is also now available on the Amazon kindle for $3.99 and the Barnes and Noble Nook for $4.99.


3 comments:

  1. Angela, I love reading your posts! You are such an inspiring mother and beautiful writer! I am so impressed with your endless generosity and care for others! PS your tagline is BEAUTIFUL. Happy holidays to your lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jodi. I've learned try my best and that's all I can do. Thanks for being a reader!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing through the Shine Blog Hop! That's great that you're able to make some money through your blogging and that you're donating it to charities you support. And thanks for the tip about Crazy8's- I buy a lot of my kids clothes from them.
    Cheers, Amber at OurCharmedLife.net

    ReplyDelete