Thursday, June 12, 2014

Letting Supermom Go

Tonight I decided to share a peak at Moms, Monsters, Media, and Margaritas with an excerpt from chapter one, "Letting Supermom Go"...

I watch my girls play with their dolls and play "mommy" and "house", and I remember doing the same thing as a little girl. Now here we are as mothers living that dream that every little girl imagines when she's taking care of her baby dolls. It's just a little crazier and a little more stressful than we all imagined.

Motherhood really becomes a chaotic balancing act that most of the time leaves us feeling like we're just barely half a step ahead of crazy in the chase to fill the unrealistic expectations of supermom. I love social media; it has definitely been a positive more than a negative in my life, but it's what leads us to constantly comparing ourselves to one another and on this chase of supermom. I find myself falling into the trap of seeing or reading things and feeling those twinges of guilt because I do not do "that" and think maybe I should. I will stop and think about veering off my own path because something or someone convinces me I need to be different in order to be better. Social media can convince us someone else is supermom and has mastered it all, and we either hate her or want to be her.

Our informational digital age pulls us in all these directions of what is "right" when it comes to parenting today. Even though I catch myself sometimes being dragged down a path that is not dictated by my own beliefs but what I let others intentionally or unintentionally try to lead me to believe, I've gotten better at cutting myself some slack and letting "supermom" continue walking her path while I continue down my own path of reality that works for me and my family.

We all walk our own paths; none of us are the same journey. We never will be as we all have different factors and obstacles along our path. We should all just embrace our own path. It's okay to not be perfect. It's okay to not engage our child every minute and turn on the television. It's okay to have a dirty house. It's okay to want to escape to the shower, store, or wherever we can have a moment's peace. It's okay to not be a pinterest chef. It's okay to be the mom we are. As mothers we're not supermom or some other fictional character that the expectations of society or even others sometimes want us to be. We're mothers, but that's better than any superhero, right?


That's tonight's sneak peak into Moms, Monsters, Media & Margaritas. It is available in the ebook format currently just through the ibookstore (coming to the kindle and nook soon though) for $4.99 or you can get it in print for $8. $2 of every book sale, whether ebook or print, is going towards a hometown charity of mine for childhood cancer. Be sure to get your copy. It'll make you laugh, make you cry, and encourage you to embrace your own individual motherhood journey.

Here are the other eleven chapters

The Media Frenzy of the Mommy Wars (my sarcasm and jabs at some pieces by TIME and other media sources comes out here)

The Circus Show of the Motherhood Balancing Act (similar title to my Chicken Soup story but not the same content)

The Lurking Monster of Mommy Guilt (always there in the shadows)

Making the Only Right Choice in Motherhood ( All those so called choices are really just a distraction. There's really one that truly matters)

Raising Imperfect Children (a humorous look at why imperfection is okay in ourselves and our kids)

What They Don't Tell You about Motherhood (this combines the chaos and destruction with everything that makes it worth it)

The Mother to do List of the Bedroom (a humorous look at marriage after kids)

Mommy Needs a Timeout (this is where those margaritas maybe come in)

The Monsters in Mommy's Closests (it's a scary world out there today with new threats we never worried about before)

The Woman of Today ( How is the tug of war of our time over working or not working redefining women and motherhood?)

Chasing Happily Ever After (a look at the myth of happily ever after and just finding happy for ourselves)






                                                          Playing Mommy and house

They love to do whatever mommy does














 
 
 
 
 
Me and my girls and that is each of them at a year and a half in the same yellow dress!


                                                      



 
 
 
 
Order your copy of  Moms, Monsters, Media & Margaritas in the ebook format for $4.99 or in print for $10.

18 comments:

  1. Such adorable pictures! Motherhood isn't quite what I expected, but it's also beyond what I expected. The visual connectedness of life today does make it hard not to get lost in the comparisons and the 'supermom' mentality. Sometimes it's helpful for me to remember that I'm a supermom in my little family and so that's good enough for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute pictures! It is a balancing act to juggle motherhood with everything else and I'm sure we all find ourselves comparing our actions with other moms but I'm learning to free myself from that and focus on how to raise my family with what works for us. Your book sounds like a wonderful read, I'll have to pick it up! Pinning this, thanks for sharing it. Found you at Turn It Up Tuesday and now following on G+. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh motherhood... we are so hard on ourselves as mothers. Letting go of the supermom image is so important. You are so right! We are all on our own paths, our own journeys.

    Beautiful pictures!

    Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the SHINE Blog Hop).

    Wishing you a lovely day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally relate with the issues of 'mommy guilt'. I had my first almost 8 months ago and the sheer shock of not being able to 'do it all', particularly in my own terms and timeline has been a rough adjustment.

    I've chastised myself far too much for an imperfect house and a wacky routine, and already I'm learning to let go a little more and revel in the chaos! I would love you to check out my own post on 'Mommy Guilt' - such a relevant subject for so many women!

    http://www.theblossomingbump.com/?p=951

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    Carly @ www.theblossomingbump.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. I think you would really the book. Hope you get a chance to check it out. I'm five years into this motherhood thing and it s still hard to let it all go.

      Delete