Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Outgrowing Motherhood?!?

I've come to a couple conclusions lately about motherhood in the later years. This is not the result of my own short five years of mothering either.

First of all, as much as we all may want to escape our mothers' nagging, hovering, or any other annoying little thing that mothers do while we're growing up, that doesn't completely disappear because we grew up and moved out of the house or in my case halfway across the country. They still worry, they still stress about what we're doing and how we're doing. My parents have never been hoverers or helicopter parents at all, but they express their worry and concern here and there about things. 

Second of all, after you get married you go from one mother to two mothers. Now you have your own mother and your spouse's mother doing all that worrying and mothering stuff :)

Third, even as much as we may try to push them away during those trying, adolescent years, you're never too old to need your mama. As an adult, it has always surprised me all the times the best medicine would just be talking to my mama. Even though it may seem like a child never needs their mama as much as they did in those early years, I think the runner up for the next stage in life when we need our mamas the most is when we begin our own parenthood journey.

So I guess my final conclusion is as mothers we never outgrow motherhood and as children we never outgrow the need for our own mothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment