Monday, March 2, 2015

It's Our Life to Live






Over the last year we've been discussing and contemplating a possible big change with moving due to career change. I reflected on those in The War within Me at The Fork in the Road and Adult Decisions are Hard. We've also talked about moving back closer to our families or in a place that would make it easier to visit them.


Even though nothing is set in stone, far from it, but here are some conclusions that I have reached. First, much depends on Nate's job situation. He's ready to move out of the classroom so depending on where that opportunity is will probably be our first determining factor. I use to be unsure where I wanted that to be though but this is what I know now.


If that opportunity requires us to pack up and move, as much as I dread the transition I always love a new challenge and the new beginnings that come with change. Because we've done it  and struggled through and overcome transition before I know we can do it again.


It wasn't until I said this out loud the other night I realized my true feelings about moving away from here. I love Maryland. We have made this place our home. It has not been easy. It's been an uphill climb for almost ten years but here we are in this beautiful wonderful life we built together. It's more than enough for me so my first vote is stay here where the life we've built is.


I've learned to accept that the way and where I live my life is not going to make everyone happy so somewhere in the last year I got my I don't give a darn attitude back and know it's really not my problem. I'll be honest I've spent way too much time worrying about making decisions that will make my family happy or win their approval. God knows I love them, but I'm a grown woman with a family of my own and this is my life to live and not theirs. I've busted my butt for ten years to show them that I can and will have what I envisioned so long ago when I left. I know that I've proved to them and myself that I can build a life, family, and home here alone with the man I believed in when they doubted him and me so much in the beginning. Yes, I would love to see them more but again I've proved to them my ability to make time and money for getting home to see family a priority.


I don't know for sure where the future will have us living but I know wherever it is we'll be fine because I'm confident in who we are and what we can do together. Everyone may not agree with our decisions or even the way we live our life but it is our life to live. And our happiness as a family with it is all that really matters.







3 comments:

  1. I really appreciate this post because I am going through this right now. We've lived in NOVA for 4 years now. My husband has started to feel unhappy with his job, and at some point we talked and planned about moving back to Hawaii, where I am from. But opportunity came knocking right as I started getting things in order to move. And here we are in limbo, waiting for the result of that opportunity: whether it will mean staying or leaving. I just pray that God will lead us to where He wants us to be, and I pray the same for you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the feeling of being pulled in different directions, feeling in a way that they're both right. But for different reasons. I always look for the signs and yes, trust that God will lead us where we're meant to be. Even if I wasn't sure at the time I've always ended up right where I was suppose to be. Good luck.

      Delete