Here's seven reasons why I know it's been a long, exhausting week.
1. Last night, I passed out on my bed before ten for once but was still in my work clothes. And I was still wearing them the next morning when I woke up!
2. Because I passed out when I wasn't exactly ready for bed yet, I took a shower in the morning for the first time ever because at this point everything starts running together and I fear it's been too long since my last one that I may scare my coworkers and friends away.
3. I had to wear a maternity shirt to work today because well, my clothes are either in that dirty pile by the door, buried somewhere in the basket of clothes I folded days ago, or somewhere in the washer or dryer all the way down in the basement. And it was just too much work at six in the morning to see what was possibly clean.
4. I wore my glasses for the third day in a row because it just takes too much effort to put them in, and it seems like every other day I have them in the wrong eyes! Then I end up going through half the work day feeling crossed eye. At some point whether it s the morning when I'm still half asleep or the evening when my functioning capabilities are at about negative ten, I can't seem to tell my right from my left. Or it's that sneaky little elf on a shelf that everyone's buzzing about on facebook. Maybe he's trying to trick me and switches them at night.
5. The mess in my 31 year old self's bedroom would put my teenage self's bedroom to shame.
6. Because the thought of dragging two kids to the grocery store after 7 pm seemed like the most daunting task ever, my dog at cereal for dinner. Why cereal? Because one of my children thought they should dump the remaining amount in the bag ALL over the kitchen table. Including all those little tiny crumbles that are at the bottom of the Life cereal bag. So I solved two problems with one solution. I cleaned up the mess by sweeping it all onto the floor and bunching it together in a pile and let the dog have at it.
7. Went to grab lunch out of the fridge for work this morning and my options were two chicken strips in which one was half eaten or a piece of pizza which someone already took a bite out of! I mean really? At this point, my thinking was "what the hell!?!" My life is like the freaking twilight zone.
When I really stop and think about all the chaos that surrounds my life and think about all the demands that are coming from every which way with parenting, work, the house, buying a new house, and other family committments, I honestly don't think I have ever been as overwhelmed and at a loss as to how to handle it as I have been these last few months. But this will pass, as do all overwhelming, frustrating, stressful times. And yes, I'm sure I could get better organized, or do this or do that, but in the reality of harsh life realities this is really nothing. Life could be so much worse and I would take this stress any day over so many other worse situations. Then I remind myself how incredibly blessed and fortunate I am, and when I think back on those pile up of things that occurred in the last twenty four hours and instead of crying about it all, I just had a good laugh at myself.