Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Naysayers

I read this post recently from one of my favorite blogs, There's Just one Mommy, about the naysayers. I could totally relate to what she was saying. If you’re one of those naysayers, I apologize in advance. But I’ve had to deal with a lot of naysayers, Debbie downers, Negative Nancys, whatever name you want to give them kind of people.

Maybe we, as in Nate and I both at times, encounter this because we are idea people. We always have these “ideas”, hopes, ambitions, things we think we can accomplish. But whether it was finishing college, moving halfway across the country, owning a rental property, where or how much we wanted to travel, how many kids we want to have, our plans for how we hope to raise them, how we want to manage or spend our money, we’ve encountered a lot of naysayers at times. I'm sure if we wanted to get a motorcycle and take a motorcycle class, which we've discussed at times but not any time soon, I'm sure like OneMommy we'd encounter more naysayers.

So my question is this, why? Why do we want to discourage people from taking risks, trying something they’ve always wanted to try? Do we really discourage them for their own good or because of our own insecurities? We stick to our comfort zones even when we’re not happy. Why are we so scared of the unknown, the choices that are different than our own?

Just as OneMommy states, I don’t want to get to the end of my life and feel like I missed something. But not only that but tomorrow is not promised to anyone so why not chase the things we hope to do today. For those naysayers, I feel that the message isn’t so much that they really think the person they’re discouraging is going to fail, but their own regret for not doing something they want to take a risk on. As someone who had to really stop and consider what was my biggest fear in making a big life changing decision, I can tell you it’s not the fear of failing but the fear of never trying. I can’t handle the “what if” question.

So forget the naysayers, negative Nancys, Debbie downers, and do what you want to do. Don’t be a naysayer, be a believer.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this! I've encountered quit a few negative Nancy's. I've always wondered why so many people feel the need to put other's down. I truly believe we should inspire, others and believe that we can do great things. I want my daughter to know that she can do any and every thing she sets her mind to! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely agree -- those naysayers in my life, I believe they have some regrets of things in their lives. Maybe they do feel insecure about past decisions and just can't handle seeing someone else take risks.

    ReplyDelete