Monday, February 23, 2015

Things We Experienced that Our Kids Won't

The other day my husband and I started listing all the things we experienced that our kids won't. Even though there are so many different lists like this out there I wanted to create one for the girls with some of my personal memories of these things. So here's our lists.


The Land Line And Sneaking Around To Turn Off All The Ringers
     I didn't have a cell phone until I went to college and our friends and boyfriends always had to call the house. Of course we were not allowed phone calls after a certain time so I would go around before bed and turn off all the ringers upstairs so my then boyfriend at the time could call me later at night. Then of course I had to sneak back around the house to turn them all back on so I wouldn't be caught the next day. My kids won't ever know what land line even means considering we haven't had one in 10 years. Of course they won't be sneaking little pains like their mother.


Riding In The Bed Of A Pickup Truck Or Laying Down In The Back Of A Car On Long Roads
    One of my childhood memories was my sisters and I sprawling out in the back of our family station wagon on the long car rides from Kansas City to Buffalo. I also remember piling in the back of my uncle's pick up truck after softball practice at the end of the night. We use to all pile into the back of pickup trucks to get more to the bars with one DD too in college even though it may have started to be illegal then. We'd probably go to jail now if our kids rode in the back of the truck so this experience is probably out for them.


Browsing The Movie Store On Saturday Nights
   This is a great childhood memory of mine. On Saturday nights the five of us would head to the Cedar Chest, the town movie rental store, to browse the movies and rent some for family movie night. One of my early dating memories with Nate is also browsing the Blockbuster store for movie night. The girls we just know browsing Netflix, Vudo, and maybe they'd venture out of their house every now and then to rent a movie at the redbox.


VHS, CassesetteTapes, Walkmans
  They will never the bulkiness of old technology. The first non landline phones, car phones, were huge. Then there was VHS and tapes compared to the little tiny DVD player and DVD discs my girls have now.  As well as walkmans verse Ipods.  Imagine trying to hide that you were listening to that in class?


Having A Collection Of Encyclopedia
   Encyclopedias? They'll have no clue. The ancient version of Google. Okay, I don't really miss these.


Passing Notes In Class
  Somewhere I have a box of notes saved from my middle school and high school years of passing notes with some of my closest friends. I also got in trouble a few times for not only getting these notes confiscated but for what I wrote in them. I guess they don't have to worry about getting in trouble for that but now there's social media to worry about!


I'm sure there are so many other things that we experienced that they won't. Feel free to add to it. I'd love to share it with the girls someday.


Recent Posts


The Brain on Motherhood


Would I Be a Better Mother if I Stayed Home?


Do you have your copy of my book,  Moms, Monsters, Media & Margaritas ? It's only $8! Check it out if you haven't. You can also read the latest review on it, follow the ebook links,  and enter to win a free copy here.



















5 comments:

  1. This is so true! Henry found a VHS tape in a box yesterday and then tried to stick it in our open printer paper tray. It made me laugh but I realized in the age of netflix- he really will have little use or need for a VHS tapes- we don't even have a VCR readily available! Some of these I will proudly be nostalgic for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom just made me take a bunch of old vhs home movies from my parents house that she wanted out of my old room. I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to do with them. I'm going to have to get them converted to digital or throw them away. I'm sure every generation could make a fun list like this for their children. Fun read #BigTopBlogParty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a collection of VHS tapes as well as cassettes. Kids today will never fully appreciate the ability to slam down the receiver of a phone. And I do remember riding in the back of a truck while on the freeway. Bikes without helmets, playground equipment surrounded by cement. How did we ever survive?
    Thank you for tossing your hat into the ring at the Party Under The Big Top! I hope to see you again next week!
    #BigTopBlogParty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angela,

    What a terrific post as well as a wonderful walk down memory lane! The one thing that came to my mind as things my daughters will never get to experience, my son actually has memories of this, is a Beeper! Remember those things???? They were all the rage back in the day and you just weren't COOL if you didn't have one!

    We had cell phones available at the time however they were too pricey and the average person wasn't able to afford them... As a matter of fact as I'm writing this I remember having both at one point in time! HA! Anyway, it is kind of funny to me to think back to the days of calling a phone number, entering the phone number that you wanted someone to call you back at, then wait for what seemed like FOREVER for that person to FINALLY call you back. I'm laughing at the whole scene playing in my head right now... I'm really glad that Beepers went away and cell phones became more affordable. The Beeper had to have been the WORST invention EVER for impatient people like me! LOL

    Oh yeah, and a payphone is another one our kids will never experience. I don't know about you but I haven't seen one of those in... I don't even remember the last time I saw one really but I do know it has been YEARS! As a kid my Mom always made sure that I carried a quarter with me just in case I needed to call home! How funny huh?!?!

    Thank you for linking up with us at Party Under the Big Top! I’m glad you were able to make it over to the #BigTopBlogParty this week! Hope to see you again at the next Party Under the Big Top! As a reminder, we go LIVE every Tuesday morning at midnight EST!

    Wishing you a fabulous week!

    Much love,

    Lysa xx
    Welcome to My Circus
    #BigTopBlogParty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pay phones! I forgot about those! They should definitely be added to this list. Thanks for reading.

      Delete