Friday, July 15, 2016

How Marriage is Like Riding a Bike

 
For our ninth anniversary my husband bought me a bike so I could ride now with my daughter and him. I love to get my exercise  outdoors when I can so now being able to add taking a long bike ride to my workout options is great. With the bike he wrote me this letter we'll call it. So here you go written by my husband, Nathan Glenn, How Marriage is Like Riding a Bike


Just like riding a bike our marriage requires a lot of moving parts in order to work. We have to have love, understanding, communication, and compassion. Like the spokes, tires, chains, and pedals of a bike if one is missing then it is incomplete and will not work.

Like riding a bike, our marriage requires balance and the right amount of speed. We have to keep working and keep pedaling at the correct speed. If we stop working, stop pedaling, then we lose our balance and wreck. If we pedal too fast it may be fun at first but eventually you get tired, lose your balance, and wreck.

Like riding a bike, our marriage can be a lot of fun and a lot of work at the same time. Sometimes it feels like we are pedaling uphill and is impossible but we can always change gears and slow down. Other times it feels like we are cruising downhill, enjoying the wind in our faces.

Like riding a bike, our marriage is an adventure that can and has taken us to beautiful places and allowed us to see beautiful things. Not only the family vacations and the beautiful scenery but more so the beauty of watching our children, their beautiful faces and the joy our marriage brings them, and the joy they bring to our marriage.

Like riding a bike, our marriage is full of ups and downs, hills and valleys, smooth paths and bumpy ones. Sometimes like riding a bike our marriage is crazy and we feel like we need a helmet. Sometimes like riding a bike we may fall and have to get back up, dust ourselves off, and get back on.

The adventure that we began nine years ago has been full of all these things. I am glad that I have gotten to enjoy this bike ride with you and I look forward to the trails that lay ahead.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment