Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The longest school year on record mentally?

This has got to be the longest school year ever. And it's been such an off year. Not just for me but a lot of teacher friends I know. I've talked to countless teachers about this and it has really been a mentally exhausting year like no other. I have my speculations and own personal reasons as to why, but it 's been the school year that we should have scratched in like October and started over. Usually the last six weeks of the school year are actually some of my favorite weeks of the whole year because of the anticipation of summer, I'm not poor yet from two months unpaid, and the weather is nice, but it is just draaaggggiiiiiinnnnngggg this year. The weather has been rather cold and dreary, which just feeds to the depressed fog us teachers seem to be in this year.

We need summer, we need sunlight, we need a drink in our hand, and our toes in the sand. We need a vacation. We need a chance to regroup and for myself I really, really hope I come back motivated and excited for a new year like I've always been in the past. I've had such an off year I'm afraid I'm going to be sick to my stomach about going back rather than excited about new things and goals like I usually am.

I have twelve days left so the light is at the end of the tunnel. And as we get closer and closer I get more and more excited for summer. It's taken me awhile to get excited for it this year because there's been so much uncertainity about how to make it through these two unemployed months. In the past we have always willingly given up money for time with our families and of course each other but this year we chose a house over everything else. There was a lot of uncertainity-unlike summers past-about our plans and schedule for the summer, but even though it looks like I will be working about four weeks out of the nine it's only 15-20 hours a week. I was definitely a little bummed about this at first as this is suppose to be my time with the girls, but hopefully my workshop classes I'm teaching for three of the weeks are the 9-12 ones so I'll home every afternoon for swimming, play dates, movies, and whatever else trouble we decide to get into. So I really don't think it'll be that bad, especially for all the other summer fun I will be getting in exchange for those few hours of work. With the money security working brings we can do some family fun things we like to do in the summer. I'm pretty excited about our summer plans. We started it  last weekend with a family night at the drive in movie theater like we do most summers. I'm finally going to go to historic Annapolis for a wine festival, but I have been wanting to check Annapolis out for years and have just never done it. We're going on  a big camping trip with friends to West Virginia, then we're taking a short five day vacation over the Fourth to probably Mrytle Beach (if not Mrytle then a different beach) but it will be a lazy beach vacation. We have birthday and pool parties to attend.  My family will be out for a week in which we hope to go to an Os game, the Jersey shore, mini golfing, and spend the majority of the week's evenings together around the firepit visiting and drinking our Margaritas. We're hoping to check out the DC Zoo again and maybe one of the other Inner Harbor attractions that we haven't visited yet like the Science Center. And we'll end our summer with a trip to PA to sit around more firepits visiting and maybe make a day trip to Niagara Falls since neither of us have been there since we were kids. And then we will be at our poorest poor and it'll be time to head back to work. So it looks like it's shaping up to be a pretty busy, traveling summer full of family fun-just the way I like it.

I know many of my other teacher friends have either already started enjoying their summer vacations and family fun or are excitedly counting down like me. Whichever the case I hope you have an awesome, relaxing summer and enjoy the time with your families.


If you missed my own childhood summer memories click here for a peek at the past The magic of summer childhood memories


Also this is what an exhausting school year does to me Motherhoood: The bipolar experience (probably doesn't matter what career you have; we probably all feel like this at times)

No comments:

Post a Comment