Saturday, January 4, 2014

Our first trip to the Emergency Room

Today was an adventure I hope to never repeat. Even though it was only stitches the screaming and crying of my four year old as they stitched her forehead back together was horrific. As they pulled up and down on the upper part of her forehead to reconnect it with the bottom half I had to step out with my squirmy two year old. It was awful for me to listen to her screams and cries in the hallway so I can't even imagine how hard it was on my husband who stayed in there with her.

This was just a short incident that she ll heal from. She will possibly have quite a scar above her right eye brow. But as I experienced something that is hopefully the worse thing parents have to experience, the typical broken bones and stitches, I couldn't even begin to imagine how parents go through life threatening illnesses or injuries with their child. I know many that have gone through worse and even though I think of you often you were definitely in my thoughts today.

So what happened? To make it worse what happened is partially my fault. I took the girls out back to go sledding down our big hill. I went first to make a path but when I got to the bottom there were quite a few fallen branches. I cleared away what I saw but thought I really should cut a new path in a different part of the yard. I climb back up the hill which is quite a hike. Before I know it Ave takes off down the hill. She never goes by herself so I was distracted by my excitement that she went by herself. She was excited too. She came right back up and jumped on again before I could say anything about moving over.

This time when she gets to the bottom she starts crying and telling me she s hurt. Those that know Averi knows she s a little dramatic so I took my time getting down there. Until I saw her face covered in blood. Then I saw the big gash across her forehead. I started moving a little faster then. I carried her up the hill, yelling for nate as I went. Told him to meet me downstairs and that I thought we needed to go to the ER.

Even though they stitched her there I have to spend my Monday calling the insurance company, our primary care doctor, and getting her into the plastic surgeon because they need to put her under in order to restitch it more successfully.

So not exactly the slow start to my 2014 that I was looking for but she will live and be fine so in the grand scheme of things it's just a little bump in the road.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Ang! I know your pain. We had Jacob in the ER at 4 months old, rushed there by ambulance with what we thought might have been a serious head injury. It's never easy to see your babies in pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! I am so sorry for the experience. I remember my own when my son was just two and had the nastiest jungle gym experience that led us to the ER as well. The horror is gone now and only the thankfulness that it wasn't worse remains. As far as her scarring goes (and this may or may not relieve you). When I was four I had a Shetland pony and it bit my cheek horribly (stitches and all the fun) and I don't even have a scar now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. That sounds horrible too. I don't think it will scar too bad. I'm definitely thankful it wasn't worse. It could have gotten her eye which would have been much worse.

      Delete
  3. Oh no! I'm sorry that all this has happened, I hope that your daughter has a speedy recovery. I agree with Sarah, it's never easy seeing your babies in pain.-You just want to take all their pain away. Poor baby.-The other day my daughter was told not to play near a shelf, and the next thing I know...a vase is falling down. It hit her on the top of of forehead, she had a tiny bump, but I ran over to her as fast as I could. So I can only imagine how you felt at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! First ER trip! Be glad! My oldest went by ambulance at 14 months for low oxygen levels, and m y middle son went at 8 months, 20 months, 2 1/2, and at 3 years old....for eating (and removing) a battery, knocking his three upper front teeth in, a broken collarbone, and a case of constipation that caused a tummy ache bad enough that he asked for a doctor....the last boy has been there once, for a nasty burn on his hand....I am ALL too familiar with the ER....boys are rough!

    ReplyDelete